Nurse Manager Position
Woodbury Life Resource Center/ Options for Women is a life-affirming organization dedicated to serving women, men and families facing the challenge of pregnancy, as well as issues related to sexual health. Our clients experience hope and encouragement through positive and life-affirming personal support services, education and resources. We provide first trimester ultrasound examinations, pregnancy testing, sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing as well as youth outreach, material assistance and other services. All services are free. We are an affiliate of TLC Options for Women, St. Paul, MN.
The nurse manager works co-operatively with the Executive Director and the Medical Director. She oversees and administers all medical services offered at the Center: pregnancy testing, STI testing and treatment, limited first trimester ultrasound exams, and medical counseling during the course of medical testing.
The nurse manager is responsible for the direct oversight and supervision of all other nurses, whether paid staff or volunteer. She is also responsible for the training and supervision of all non-medical staff who perform pregnancy testing or STI testing.
Time Commitment: Part-time (10 to 15 hours per week)
- Administer limited ultrasound program.
- Perform limited ultrasound examinations (upon completion of appropriate training).
- Administer STI program and perform STI testing .
- Train and oversee all staff performing STI testing.
- Perform pregnancy testing.
- Train and oversee all staff performing pregnancy testing.
- Implement infection control policies and procedures.
- Maintain quality assurance by reviewing charts, performing chart audits, and annual review of staff compliance.
- Provide follow-up contact with clients when appropriate.
- Supply medical education and resources to clients according to need.
- Accurately document findings in client records and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Maintain a respectful and collaborative working relationship with Center staff and volunteers.
- Comply with all TLC medical Policies and Procedures, the TLC Standards of Practice as well as Woodbury Options for Women policies.
- Provide basic early prenatal education to clients with a positive pregnancy test.
- Provide accurate information regarding adoption, abortion and parenting to clients with a positive pregnancy test who are abortion- vulnerable or abortion- minded.
- Provide medical education regarding sexual health to clients with a negative pregnancy test.
- Explain basic information about female fertility and contraception to clients as needed and appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
- Agreement with and commitment to WLRC values: We believe in the inherent dignity of each person, from conception to natural death; the right of our clients to receive compassionate support; the right to accurate information on life and health issues; the right to be seen as a whole person, with physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs.
- Dedication to the pro-life philosophy. This means that while we provide factual information, we never provide referrals for abortion or contraception. We promote fertility awareness and sexual abstinence for the unmarried and natural family planning for married people.
- Must be a Registered Nurse (RN) with current MN licensure in good standing with the MN Board of Nursing. Prefer at least a few years of nursing experience, ideally in a community setting, but not necessary. Prefer someone already trained in limited obstetrical ultrasound but will train the right person.
- Educational: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or equivalent. Completion of the National Institute of Family Life Advocates’ (NIFLA) Limited Obstetrical Ultrasound Course or equivalent (can be done after hire). Preferred: some experience in a Pregnancy Resource Center.
- Personal: Able to empathize with people in distress, and the ability to give practical assistance; must have good listening skills, strong client orientation and the ability to engage in a non-judgmental way with all client demographics and situations. Good interpersonal and communication skills are necessary.
- Relational: Ability to work as a team member and to accept responsibility. Must also be able to work independently and to seek consultation when needed.
- Total Life Care Centers’ 13 hour training program. (Can be done after hire).
- NIFLA training (or equivalent) in Limited Obstetrical Ultrasound. (Can be done after hire).
- On-the-job orientation with current nurse, Client Services Coordinator, and Executive Director.